Senior Medical Science Liaison - San Fran
San Fran, CA 06901
Senior Medical Science Liaison
Territory - Northern Cali, Alaska, WA, ID, OR, MT, WY
Position Reports to: National Director, Medical Science Liaisons
Our client is looking to hire a Lead MSL who will support a product with an expected approval in late 2019. This position will be based in San Francisco, closest to some of the major KOLs. The Medical Science Liaisons (MSL) is a field-based role that reports to the National Director, Medical Science Liaisons. The MSL role is responsible for identifying, developing, and managing relationships with current and future professional contacts in the academic, community practice, and managed care space. At a minimum, our is seeking scientifically trained professionals with strong clinical and/or scientific backgrounds with excellent communication skills.
Primary tactical activities for this position include having robust clinical conversations, providing and delivering presentations and testimonies, building customer relationships, and leading strategic discussions as it relates to key clinical issues/concepts, and health economic and outcomes research data on sleep products. The MSL will engage with a variety of different healthcare professionals across the spectrum of the healthcare system including physicians, nurses, pharmacists, and physician assistants in the clinic/practice/institution setting, and with medical and pharmacy directors, formulary committees, case managers, Medicaid decision-makers, and others in the managed care setting. Through these interactions, the MSL will assess changes to and emerging pressures on practice environments and understand local, regional, and national initiatives. This position will work with the Medical Affairs Team and other internal stakeholders, to execute the overall Medical Science Liaison team strategy.
- Develop and maintain customer relationships across the various customer segments
- Clinical and Hospital/Institution setting
- Managed Care
- Schedule appointments and meet with key contacts to foster peer-to-peer relationships.
- Identify new contacts or Scientific Leaders for customer engagement within each therapeutic area
- Document all customer interactions in the compliant databases
- Support Medical Affairs IIR strategy
- Identify customers who are interested in research, collaboration, ad board participation, speaking engagements, etc.
- Provide fair-balanced, accurate information in response to product and medical information requests. This includes discussion of risk information, relevant therapeutic areas, identification of unmet needs and communication of relevant information back
- Respond to existing products inquiries upon customer request.
- Collect and share insights across the Medical Affairs organization
- Execute field medical strategies and tactics across the Portfolio.
- Work in alignment with other functions including Medical Affairs, Market Access Leadership, Brand Leadership, State Government Affairs, and any other key internal stakeholders to ensure execution of field medical strategies.
- Contribute to the development of tools and resources needed for customer engagements.
- Follow all internal policies, Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and Working Practice Documents (WPDs)
- Complete all compliance requirements in a timely manner
- Execute the national Conference/Association strategic plan for each therapeutic area
- Identify regional/local meetings of interest in collaboration with key internal stakeholders.
- Maintain a presence at major, relevant medical meetings and communicate important information back.
- Act as a liaison between Managed Care organizations and Medical Affairs in supporting payer needs.
- Maintain clinical and technical expertise in relevant therapeutic areas by reviewing scientific journals and attending select scientific and technical meetings.
Education and Experience Requirements
- Doctoral degree preferred (M.D., Ph.D., or PharmD)
- 5+ years’ experience in a field medical role in the pharma/healthcare industry or comparable experience
- Appreciation and understanding for the pharmaceutical environment
- Prior experience in a field MSL role with significant experience in customer management and engagement in the clinic, hospital institutions, and managed care setting preferred
- Disease state knowledge in therapeutic areas (Sleep, ADHD, Oncology)
- Strong drug information skills
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate via formal presentation, verbal testimony, or customer dialogue/conversation
- Possess strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong computer skills with application of WORD, EXCEL, PowerPoint, etc.
- Excellent interpersonal communication and presentation skills, strong personal integrity, teamwork abilities, and a customer focus are necessary.
- Must be able to organize, prioritize, and work effectively in a constantly changing environment
- Ability to interface effectively with a variety of technical platforms for the collection, review, and dissemination of medical information.
- A willingness and ability to travel up to 65% required, dependent on territory.
- Must live in close proximity to a major airport and have a valid U.S driver's license in good standing.