Director, Operational Excellence
Iowa City, IA
As a member of the Site Leadership Team, the Director, Operational Excellence will be responsible for leading the business activities required to administer and effectively execute the Operational Excellence (OE) program at the Site, in alignment with Corporate OE program.
Accountabilities and Responsibilities:
- Site Champion of Lean Six Sigma, Design for Six Sigma and OE Projects.
- Collaborates with Site Leadership Team to establish Site OE Project Plan (Short and Long Term - Safety, Quality, Cash, Cost Avoidance, Manufacturing Capacity, Efficiency, etc.)
- Identify and drive improvement projects, which align with the corporate and site goals/initiatives to achieve annual and long-term strategic initiatives.
- Develop department budget and site annual OE saving goals.
- Directs department responsibilities and provides personnel management to department coworkers.
- Manage site projects to develop safe, high quality, efficient, cost-effective processes and products.
- Provide review and guidance on statistical analysis of projects, including Continued Process Verification reports.
- Assess, and approve, the financial impact of process changes to align with corporate established metric calculations.
- Reports site key performance indicators and OE Savings to site, business unit, and corporate. Includes use of Visual Factory tools, as well as monthly, quarterly business reviews and reports.
- Train and develop coworkers in Operational Excellence, Lean Six Sigma, Design Six Sigma, and other process improvement methodologies.
- Ensures Site’s OE Business Practices, Visual Factory, Communication, and Marketing of the OE Program is in place and maintained throughout the site.
- Supports corporate OE initiative to identify and recommend projects for implementation at other sites, as well as assist other sites, when requested by site, unit, or corporate leadership.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Chemistry or Chemical Engineering.
- Lean Six Sigma Certification with direct project experience. Master Black Belt preferred.
- Ten or more years’ experience leading an Operational Excellence, Lean Six Sigma or related improvement program.
- Five or more years of experience in a manufacturing environment, preferably in API pharmaceuticals.
- Demonstrated successful experience in solving complex problems, resulting in tangible value and gain to the business.
- Experience in statistical analysis and financial cost benefit analysis of a process change.
- Ability to plan, organize and execute multiple projects simultaneously to meet timelines.
- Strong oral, written, and presentation communication skills.
- Successfully builds relationships, able to negotiate, influence, and manage people, as well as change.
- Proficient in windows-based software including Word, Excel, Power Point, and database programs.
- Proficient in the use and application of statistics and data analytics, Minitab is preferred.