Denver, CO 80012
Responsible for providing strong technical leadership and documentation support for development and manufacturing processes. Responsible for the planning and execution of multi step syntheses from laboratory to full commercialization. Emphasis is on the creative application of a full range of literature and theoretical concepts from a diverse range of chemistry to the design and implementation of cost-effective processes for the manufacture of pharmaceuticals. Will work within a search, analysis, synthesis and experimentation on substances for such purposes as product and process development by performing the following duties.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Responsible for supplying management with specific project data to facilitate the budgeting process for the development, transfer or implementation of technology.
- Develops and executes procedures, processes and methods for solutions to chemical and technical problems on lab and plant scale.
- Conducts research and development in order to improve manufacturing processes.
- Leads large and/or multiple teams to accomplish the development, transfer, or implementation of technology at a lab or plant scale.
- Designs, develops and executes innovative procedures, processes, and methods for solutions to chemical and technical problems.
- Confers with scientists and engineers within the whole environment regarding research and prepares technical papers and reports
- Submits patents, presents at scientific conferences and publishes in scientific journals.
- Serves as liaison with multiple disciplines and/or manufacturing or development sites.
LEADERSHIP & BUDGET RESPONSIBILITIES
Demonstrates positive attitude. Supports a positive, healthy and flexible work environment that encourages employees and coworkers to develop their full potential and expand their horizons. Leads team in the development, troubleshooting, transfer, and improvement of chemical and analytical processes.
May directly lead one to five employees. Carries out leadership responsibilities in accordance with the company policies and applicable laws.
Liaises with external teams and represents local development on regard to these external teams.
These are the specific areas of knowledge, skill and ability that are important for successful job performance. They must be job related and consistent with business necessity.
Demonstrates a positive attitude.
- Thorough working knowledge of regulatory issues in pharmaceutical manufacturing including cGMPs, PSM, OSHA, EPA requirements, and process hazard analysis; can interpret regulatory laws, and propose, defend, and implement cost-effective solutions
- Computer skills, in the areas of: Microsoft Office Products – Word, Excel, PowerPoint; statistical analysis programs, Laboratory Information Management System and business systems (SAP)
- Develops special expertise in products and processes; acknowledged as an expert in one or more technical areas both within and outside site
- Creates clear, concise goals and strategies that support individual’s development and the site’s mission; actively participates in proposing and setting process chemist group and manufacturing department goals
- Routinely demonstrates a proactive approach to problem identification and resolution
- Understands the company’s business goals and contributes technically to its strategy development
- Interacts with management in developing project objectives and site strategies; advises management regarding technical opportunities and advances
- Demonstrated leadership within a multi-functional team-oriented environment.
- Seeks out, assimilates, and applies new and advanced principles, theories, and concepts in developing original programs
- Has attained the most advanced or expert knowledge within a technical discipline (Subject Matter Expert) and also has diversity in multiple technical areas
- Known within corporate and professional communities as a technical expert through publications, presentations, involvement, and reputation
- Establishes and maintains external scientific contacts
- Has a consistent record of contributing innovative and practical solutions to technical problems; develops or directs the development of solutions to complex technical problems where little or no precedence exists.
- Technical skills frequently utilized for consultation outside of the main job assignment, including contribution to other sites; recognized as a major contributor to their field internally and externally.
- Demonstrates vision of future business direction and needs; drives results which have major economic impact on the site’s profitability
- Champions good ideas through the division/corporation system
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Doctoral degree (Ph.D.) in chemistry and at least one year of postdoctoral experience, preferably specializing in organic synthesis plus 3 - 5 years of experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.