Director of Pharmacy
The Director of Pharmacy Operations, under the leadership of the Chief Operations Officer, will support efforts to satisfy new and current customer expectations through successfully overseeing our multi-shift pharmacy distribution services. The Director of Pharmacy Operations will manage the filling, verifying, and shipping of orders in the compounding pharmacy, ensure quality & compliance standards are met, enhance the operation through continuous improvement practices, and continuously move operations from a manual operation to an automated operation. The Director will also enhance cross-functional coordination and expand internal communications.
- Leads and oversees the order fulfillment operations across multiple shifts, ensuring efficient and accurate processing of orders.
- Develops and implements strategies to streamline the order fulfillment process, with a focus on transitioning from manual to automated procedures.
- Responsible for order processing to include product picking, labeling, verification, and shipping of finished goods on time-in full.
- Manages and oversees implementation of Pharmacy Management Software.
- Manages and oversees implementation of automated technology and enhances operations through design and restructure of the facility.
- Implements quality control measures to ensure compliance with state board requirements.
- Monitors productivity, efficiency, and cost-effectiveness of the order fulfillment operations, identifies areas for improvement and implementing solutions.
- Increases efficiency and quality of work by minimizing waste through the institution of lean principles.
- Collaborates with cross-functional teams to optimize inventory management, order accuracy, and on-time delivery.
- Ensures training, mentoring, and guidance is provided to pharmacy clerks involved in retail and patient-pickup storefront management.
- Develops and maintains standard operating procedures (SOPs) related to order fulfillment, ensures adherence to best practices and regulatory standards.
- Ensures the development and sustainment of training programs, creating qualified training programs.
- Provides appropriate coaching and performance feedback to leadership team members and assures that all team members are being developed
- Responsible for department hiring or functional outsourcing, where needed
- Responsible for budget related to all items relative to the order fulfillment process, KPIs and performance data analytics.
- Accountable for overall planning, implementation and achievement of strategic Business Unit goals and expectations.
- Manages and maintains relationships with vendors, ensuring the timely receipt of supplies and equipment required for order fulfillment.
- Collaborates with IT and other departments to enhance the functionality and integration of automated dispensing machinery and systems.
- Stays informed of industry trends, technological advancements, and regulatory changes related to order fulfillment and pharmacy operations.
- Responsible for inventory management of finished product and devices to include commercially approved and compounded finished product, as well as DEA non-controlled and controlled substances.
- Performs daily walkarounds of the fulfillment areas and the ability to sub in the operation to assist as needed.
- Responsible for capital equipment and facilities procurement to be regulatory compliant and functional for the area
- Oversees the implementation of CapEx projects relative to functional area (i.e. new equipment implementation, ERP roll-out, new facility start-ups)
- Oversees investigation of problems and troubleshooting
- Fosters development of direct reports through coaching and feedback
- Performs other duties as assigned.
This position directly supervises 1 or more exempt and/or non-exempt direct reports
Education and Experience requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university or college (supply chain management or equivalent technical discipline preferred) with at least 10 years of experience in pharmacy or order fulfillment centers or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 5+ years of leadership experience.
- 3+ years of experience with automated order fulfillment operations (robotics) required.
- Demonstrated experience in overall business operations enabling good judgment and participation in senior decision-making activity
- Experience with high-volume retail pharmacies (10,000+ scripts per day) required.
- Demonstrated skills in problem-solving and providing solutions
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects
- Excellent judgment and interpersonal skills, including written and verbal communication skills to effectively communicate with all levels of executives, employees and other contacts.
- Experience with ERP or Pharmacy Management Software implementation desired.
- Experience with transitioning from manual to automated processes desired.
- Lean Six Sigma Black Belt is preferred
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.