Chemistry Bioconjugation Leader
We are seeking an experienced Executive Director of Bioconjugation Chemistry to join our dynamic technology platform team. As a key leader, you will play a pivotal role in advancing our efforts in the discovery and development of cutting-edge oncology therapeutics by combining the power of targeted protein homeostasis with the precision of antibodies. We are looking for a candidate with a demonstrated track record of success in leading drug discovery projects, possessing a profound understanding of bioconjugation chemistry principles and drug discovery techniques, and a strong track record of delivering impactful portfolio achievements.
Duties and Responsibilities.
- Formulate and implement innovative strategies to address critical project objectives, offering creative solutions for medicinal and synthetic chemistry challenges when working with novel protein degraders, linkers, and antibody-drug conjugates.
- Collaborate proactively with various functional teams, including computational chemistry, DMPK, in vivo pharmacology, CMC, and more, to ensure the successful progression of drug discovery projects.
- Identify, establish, and lead partnerships with CRO partners and implement strategies to improve operational efficiency and best practices.
- Actively participate in the identification and nomination of emerging cancer targets at the forefront of the field and the establishment of new drug discovery programs in our portfolio.
- Clearly and effectively communicate strategy and provide progress updates to cross-functional project teams and scientific leadership.
- Contribute to the development and execution of IP strategy in collaboration with intellectual property attorneys.
- Present and publish project results in external scientific meetings and peer-reviewed literature to enhance the company's scientific reputation.
- Coach and mentor scientists across the discovery function, fostering their professional growth and enhancing organizational capabilities.
Skills, Abilities & Competencies
- Expertise in communication with strategic partners, executive leadership, and KOLs.
- Profound expertise in bioconjugation chemistry, including new and emerging linker and release trigger technologies, analytical methods, and structure-based design.
- Current knowledge of synthetic and medicinal chemistry, with the ability to identify opportunities for advancing science in these fields.
- High level of creativity and productivity, coupled with strong problem-solving skills.
- Deep knowledge of ADME, physicochemical, biochemical, and pharmacological principles as applied to ADC discovery.
- Extensive experience in collaborating closely with other functional areas, such as biology, computational chemistry, DMPK, in vivo pharmacology, CMC, and more.
- A proven track record of portfolio success, having successfully guided projects to the identification of high-quality drug candidates.
- Familiarity with various small molecules drug discovery modalities such as small molecule inhibitors, PPI inducers including PROTACs and MGs, etc. is a plus.
- Collaborative team player with exceptional oral and written communication skills, including the ability to present rationale, data, issues, and accomplishments of the team.
- Strong skills in gathering and analyzing competitive information from scientific sources such as patents and meetings and employing this information to guide program strategy.
- Strong desire to mentor junior team members to increase their bioconjugation and medicinal chemistry knowledge and skill set.
Ph.D. or equivalent degree in organic/medicinal chemistry or a related field with minimum 10+ years' industrial experience