Manager, Process Chemistry
Responsible for providing department-level leadership for the Synthetic Chemistry Department in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable regulatory requirements. The Manager’s responsibilities include training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems. The incumbent is responsible for creating an environment that encourages technical excellence, developing and coaching technical staff to improve skills, and ensuring high quality technical work.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Guides, directs, and reviews work done by the Synthetic Chemistry Department to ensure the robustness, scalability, and compliance with safety requirements of new and existing synthetic processes
- Ensures the proper technical resources and skills are in place, and appropriately applied to meet and exceed development and manufacturing goals
- Identifies technical, business, client-facing and interpersonal skill development needs of the members of the department and recommends appropriate training, either formal or on the job, and ensures training occurs
- Appraises the performance, rewards, and disciplines members of the department. Is responsible for hiring new members of the department
- Coordinates activities of synthetic chemical process research personnel responsible for developing innovative, efficient, safe, and economically advantageous processes for active drug substances and intermediates
- Develops and approves standard workflows to optimize the function of the department
- Ensures that improvements are constantly identified, prioritized, and implemented in the primary areas. Such as process development, as well as process improvements, technology transfers, and process robustness
- Establishes, implements, and maintains a system of work standards by developing guidelines and systems that ensure a consistently high level of technical work
- As a member of the Development Management, assists in setting goals, milestones, and completion dates; evaluates and determines resources (staffing, team makeup)
- Serves as Process Chemistry SME for internal and external customers. Ensures customer satisfaction and completion of deliverables on time and in full
- Utilizes metrics and work plan to track and continually improve process performance
- Identifies and provides development opportunities for team members
- Other duties may be assigned
Observes compliant working practices including completion of all required training, attendance at scheduled safety meetings, and performance of safe operating techniques in the labs, production areas, and office areas. Complies with all Quality, Environmental and Occupational Health and Safety policies and procedures, and governmental regulations
LEADERSHIP & BUDGET RESPONSIBILITIES
Provides leadership to the members of the department. Facilitates resolution of technical and interpersonal issues within the work group and between other work groups, providing performance feedback, work planning and addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Responsible for developing the budgets for the Synthetic Chemistry department and ensuring expenses are within the budgets.
SAFETY & ENVIRONMENTAL RESPONSIBILITIES
Every individual is personally responsible for the safety and environmental aspects of his or her activities in the workplace. Each employee is expected to perform their job duties in a safe manner utilizing all of their knowledge, training, ability and experience.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Ph.D. in Chemistry or equivalent and a minimum of 7 years’ experience in pharmaceutical drug substance area development/production.