Strategic Director of IP and Technology Initiative
Responsible for leading the successful commercialization of the company’s Research and Development work product(s) resulting in the expansion of the company’s commercial portfolio while generating revenues and leading to sustainable year over year growth.
- Conducts technical research and analysis on specific therapeutic markets to create detailed business plans for commercial opportunities that drive R&D activities that can meet company goals and growth objectives.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge of our products and services, as well as industry trends, regulatory framework, and competitors.
- Assesses competitive landscape and advises the business as to the degree of competitors sophistication by which their technology can compete.
- Performs all technical due diligence evaluations for new opportunities in partnership with the sales and business development functions. Recommends a go or no-go decision and effectively communicates confidence and risk.
- Collaborates with other departments to ensure alignment and support of commercialization efforts.
- Participates in annual and long-range business planning; develops technical and intellectual property strategies consistent with overall business strategy; effectively positions the business for sustainable and profitable commercial revenue streams.
- Establishes and administers procedures pertaining to discovery of new technologies, based upon market feedback and unmet drug delivery needs.
- Demonstrated competency in technical transfer from lab to process-scale.
- Leads business in formulation and implementation of intellectual property strategy yielding significant competitive advantage; monitors and leads the business in effectively understanding relevant intellectual property landscape; maintains adequate records to support intellectual property-related actions; assists Patent Counsel in obtaining patent protection and assuring freedom to operate.
- Forecasts operating and capital expense requirements and manages budgets.
- Maintains current awareness of pharmaceutical and drug delivery technical progress via avenues including, but not limited to:
- Industry peer networking
- Monitoring relevant literature
- Participating in industry groups
- Attending relevant conference
- Prepares technical literature in the form of research papers, technical journal submissions, and poster presentations in support of marketing effort.
- Presents non-caronfidential technical information at conferences and symposiums.
- Effectively communicates functional status within function as well as across division.
- Conducts all aspects of position in a professional, respectful manner consistent with the company Guiding Principles; embraces 6S LEAN culture; organizes personal work areas and appearance consistent with corporate and divisional professional image.
- Prepares and presents reports, analyses, and other pertinent data/information to peers, clients, and/or management.
- Manage and organize time, information, and resources effectively to meet deadlines and respond to requests on a timely basis.
- Proven communication skills (verbal and written) with an ability to establish relationships and collaborate with a diverse set of stakeholders at various levels internally & externally.
- Advanced degree (PhD or Master’s) in a scientific and/or engineering discipline focused in chemistry, pharmaceutical sciences, biology, biotechnology, or related area preferred.
- Experienced with FDA-regulated business and requirements necessary to operate in compliance with FDA 21 CFR 211 regulations: familiarity with all stages of pre-clinical and clinical therapeutic offering development.
- Knowledgeable in DEA regulations concerning controlled substances (e.g., Schedules II-V).
- 10+ years technical selling in pharmaceutical and/or drug-delivery business; preferably experienced with transdermal, transmucossal, and/or oral thin film applications.
- Proven experience as commercial director or similar relevant role.
- In-depth understanding of market research methods and analysis.
- Extremely driven individual with high expectations of themselves and those around them.
- Solid knowledge of performance reporting and financial/budgeting processes.
- Commercial awareness partnered with a strategic mindset.
- Strong leadership, influencing, interpersonal, negotiation, communication, and organization skills.
- Assist in setting financial targets and budget development and monitoring.
- Proficiency with standard desktop computer software applications.
- Ability to travel up to 10% of the time (including some international).