The Controller will lead, manage and be accountable for all aspects of Finance, Accounting, Budgeting, Reporting, Tax, and various other accounting and financial functions for the Company. The Controller will be a member of the Company’s senior leadership team, report to the Chief Executive Officer, and will work closely with the private equity investors and the board of directors.
Key Qualifications and Attributes
The ideal candidate will have a minimum of 6-8 years of progressive and successful experience as an accounting leader at an operating company. The ideal candidate should possess most of the following characteristics/qualities:
- Experience: You have a minimum of 6-8 years of professional accounting management; prior experience working within a leveraged environment and/or with private equity is preferred.
- Demonstrated Accounting and Financial Reporting Skills: You have acquired a thorough understanding of GAAP accounting; you demonstrate an intuitive sense about costs and working capital; you are capable of developing, analyzing, refining and delivering timely financial metrics and distilling complex operational analyses into actionable outputs for executive management and private equity investors to use in strategic decision making.
- Strong Business Acumen and Analytical Skills: You must be proficient in forecasting, budgeting, financial modeling, and risk management; you have a demonstrated ability for reaching sound business decisions after developing and reviewing available financial information; you can identify relevant KPIs and actively monitor/manage the business in line with achievable goals.
- An Operational Mindset: You have an intellectual curiosity about the business and a focus on improving accounting and financial processes; you have demonstrated the ability to develop, implement and iterate operational processes and policies to optimize accounting functions; experience executing and integrating acquisitions would be a plus.
- Excellent Leadership and Managerial Skills: You have the propensity to take responsibility, move forward, and encourage others to share the vision; you possess the qualities that inspire confidence and trust; you demonstrate excellent oral and written communication skills; you appreciate the importance of culture within an organization and bring a positive attitude in all situations.
- Comfort Level with Information Technology: You will use technology to improve access to information needed to run the business; you will utilize systems to drive operations, improve processes, eliminate errors, and reduce administrative costs; experience with systems implementations would be a plus.
- Education: You have earned a bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college; a CPA is highly desirable; an MBA or Masters in Finance would be a plus.
- Function as a key member of the senior leadership team.
- Develop, implement, and oversee financial policies, procedures, and controls to optimize financial performance, ensure regulatory compliance, and to mitigate risk.
- Perform accounting and finance functions, such as:
- Prepare and review internal financial reporting and external financial statements in accordance with GAAP,
- Prepare and manage the general ledger and chart of accounts in accordance with GAAP,
- Reconcile the balance sheets and complete monthly, quarterly and year end closings,
- Manage the completion of a successful annual audit, and
- Lead, mentor, manage and develop the accounting team. Manage and remain accountable for the following accounting functions:
- Ensure all transactions recorded in a timely manner; perform monthly reconciliation of each account,
- Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Inventory, Payroll and General Accounting functions,
- Taxes, Payroll, Collections, and Reporting,
- Inventory – ensure transactions affecting inventory are properly entered,
- Recommend improvements to inventory management and procedures; assist with inventory reconciliation multiple times per year,
- Ensure all general ledger transactions processed in compliance with GAAP reporting,
- Prepare and provide timely financial reports and supporting documentation to the CEO, the private equity investors, and the board of directors to meet monthly reporting obligations and timelines,
- Manage and provide direction and recommendations on cash management to include:
- Act as the primary point of contact for financial institutions and other third-party stakeholders,
- Cash monitoring and forecasting,
- Credit compliance,
- Monitor and manage accounts receivables to maximize cash flow.
- Corporate Tax Oversight:
- Ensure compliance with filing of federal, state and local tax returns and 1099s, and
- Provide oversight of corporate and partnership filings and compliance with K-1 filings, real estate structures, and other filings.
- Develop and manage the Company’s financial budget, analyses, and forecasts:
- Develop and manage the detailed annual three-statement budget,
- Manage the budgeting process to include timeline development, communications, on-going monitoring procedures/controls, and reforecasting,
- Develop and maintain an annual capital and operating budgeting and periodic internal reporting process,
- Recommend, implement, and refine key financial performance metrics to assess and communicate real-time performance trends,
- Prepare forecasts, analyses, or reports to support the senior executive team’s strategic planning efforts, and evaluation of the business,
- Analyze composition of revenues, profitability, and results, and
- Perform unit cost analyses to evaluate the business and enhance performance.
- Lead add-on acquisition financial and accounting integration efforts.
- Maintain appropriate business insurance for the Company.
- Assist in improving or upgrading our Company’s financial and accounting systems and procedures.
- Evaluate and keep apprised of corporate structures, financing, tax, real estate and compliance regulations.
- Cultivate and maintain strong relationships with customers, leadership, management, and employees to build trust and support.