PRINCIPAL SCIENTIST I – CHEMICAL DEVELOPMENT
Iowa City, IA
Position is directed toward optimization of existing chemical routes and development of alternate chemistry toward key synthetic intermediates and APIs. Carries out multistep chemical synthesis and product isolation/purification operations in the laboratory, independently or as part of an integrated team. Chemist utilizes modern analytical tools to determine identity and purity of products made during projects. Communication with clients in regular team meetings; prepares R&D reports at the conclusion of projects.
- Design and carry out multistep organic syntheses, isolation, and purification of targeted products.
- Must possess a strong understanding of modern organic synthesis methodologies.
- Must have a thorough understanding of modern analytical and spectroscopic techniques and be able to interpret the corresponding data and spectra.
- Ability to conduct literature searches for specific target compounds and be able to use the literature to base a design of alternate routes to these compounds. Requires ongoing professional development to keep abreast of current scientific literature and discuss these findings with colleagues.
- Must demonstrate a proficiency to carry out laboratory syntheses and purification techniques on scales ranging from milligrams to several kilograms, and design and implement process modifications.
- Requires excellent time management with the ability to manage projects on-time without supervision.
- Ability to author and review comprehensive reports at the conclusion of projects for internal and customer use.
- Work closely with other chemistry and analytical laboratory staff to coordinate project activities and resource usage.
- Work to ensure that a spirit of teamwork and cooperation always exists within the group.
- Conduct laboratory operations in a safe manner. Maintain familiarity with the company’s chemical hygiene plan. Exhibit safety awareness and safe work practices.
- Follow responsible actions regarding chemical disposal. Maintain compliance with all regulations at the federal, state, and local levels.
- Must demonstrate effective communication skills (both interpersonal and presentations). Participate in project team meetings with customers.
- Work closely with manufacturing and GMP operations to coordinate project related equipment and activities.
- Ph.D. in Chemistry or related field with minimum 6 years of experience or M.S. in Chemistry or related field with minimum 10 years of experience or B.S. degree in Chemistry or related field with 14 years of experience in lab environment, pharmaceutical experience preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to scale up pharmaceutical processes.