Manager Facilities and Critical Utilities
Toms River, NJ
Manager Facilities and Critical Utilities
This Manager, Facilities and Critical Utilities is responsible for planning, organizing and controlling Facilities and Critical Utilities Maintenance activities on a daily basis with responsibility for results in terms of costs, methods, and employee management. The incumbent develops and administers schedules and performance requirements for Facilities and Engineering staff to drive continuous improvement and sustainable organizational growth and acts as an advisor and mentor to direct reports to help meet schedules and/or resolve technical problems. Frequently interacts with suppliers and contractors to improve building, equipment, and processes around the plant. The incumbent interfaces with internal and external stakeholders, Regulatory Compliance, QA, Operations, Planning and Regulatory Agencies (i.e. FDA & EMA). Coordinate and plan maintenance activities accordingly to enhance asset performance. Provide technical support to the entire engineering group and cross-functional teams, as needed.
Ensure Standard Operating Procedures and protocols are maintained and adhere to, while ensuring that the group remains in compliance with all regulatory and safety requirements. A brief description of the job's primary purpose or contribution to the department or organization.
Assist in the development and implementation of Site's capital plan. Implement and drive a systematic approach for tracking asset reliability and availability in support of production activities, with intimate knowledge of major utility systems such as WFI and USP Water systems, Central Compressed Air System & HVAC. Ensure efficient and safe operation of the site by providing world class maintenance service in compliance with regulatory requirements.
As a member of the Site’s Management team, participate in the successful execution of site strategy and policies
- Manage the maintenance, sustainability, and design of all critical utilities such as Electrical Systems, WFI and USP Water Systems, Compressed Air System, HVAC Systems, including Boilers and Clean Steam Generators, while ensuring regulatory compliance (ie: FDA)
- Demonstrate a strong understanding of HVAC, mechanical, and electrical systems, and be able to troubleshoot as necessary
- Have experience utilizing a Building Automation System (BAS) for troubleshooting and resolving problems with monitored equipment
- Responsible for the maintenance management systems (i.e. BAS and CMMS), including the 24/7 alarm monitoring process.
- Responsible for management support of groundskeeping, including landscaping and snow removal.
- Manage overall compliance requirement for the group, including change management, deviation management and OSHA regulations.
- Liaison with cross-functional stakeholders to solve specific operating problems and improve Facilities and Critical Utilities maintenance performance.
- Provide recommendation and input on technical procedures, techniques and equipment performance.
- Responsible for general facility maintenance, Pest Control Management, Janitorial Services, Roof Maintenance and refrigeration systems (i.e. Stability Chambers, Incubators, Refrigerators and Freezers.
- Assist in formulating and implementing short and long-range goals for the group; set priorities, assign responsibilities, and drive high performance.
- Perform future need forecast through asset life expectancy management and closely monitor building infrastructure to ensure long term sustainability and successful growth of the organization.
- Responsible to achieve associated expense and capital budgets, while driving a culture of continuous improvement and cost savings in a responsible manner.
- Represent the department in interactions with cross-functional stakeholders.
- Interface and coordinate with cross-functional team members to successfully achieve the Engineering department’s goal and the overall company organization goals.
- Develop, and foster good working relationships with internal and external stakeholders and support initiatives required to continually enhance the company’s reputation.
- Strengthen inter-departmental relationships at the Manager level.
- Primarily responsible for the recruitment, selection and mentoring of employees for the group.
- Assure that the Facilities and Engineering staff are properly trained in Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and equipment specific requirements
- Plan and schedule work for the group to ensure proper distribution of assignments.
- Plan and conduct meetings with direct reports to ensure compliance with established practices, implement new policies and keep employees abreast of current changes and standards.
- Monitor employee performance and provide appropriate and timely recognition of their contributions.
- Ensure adequate training and development opportunities for Facilities and Engineering employees.
- Assist employees in setting career goals and managing career expectations.
- Provide guidance as requested regarding hiring, training, promotions, and disciplinary issues for technical personnel.
- Understand and comply with all the company safety, environmental and quality practices and procedures as outlined in organizational/departmental guidelines and SOPs as well as applicable federal, state and local regulations including cGMP, ISO, OSHA, GLP and other applicable standards.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering required along with substantial experience and a proven record of achievement
- A minimum of 10 years of relevant experience in the pharmaceutical industry is required, including at least 3 years’ experience leading a Facilities or Engineering group, and experience with critical systems.