Automation Services Engineer
Automation Services Engineer
Essential Job Function:
Overnight travel up to 60% (80% including local travel) or as needed to complete responsibilities. Fulfill technical and field start-up responsibilities for all projects assigned by department supervisor. These include but are not limited to: review of system documents and drawings (mechanical, controls and validation), customer assistance, start-up of machine systems, training of machine users, preventive maintenance equipment reviews and controls service, controls troubleshooting service on-site as well as over the phone.
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering, Associate Degree, trade school, or 5 years of related experience.
- Experience with pneumatics, variable frequency drives, and Allen Bradley PLC’s. Siemans PLC and logic experience a plus.
- Ability to troubleshoot, develop, test, and commission PLC and SCADA (iFix and/or Wonderware) control systems. Familiarity with industry standards such as NFPA, NEC, and NEMA.
- Familiarity with electrical wiring practices and wiring troubleshooting a must. Programming experience with Allen Bradley and Siemens PLCs and WonderWare’s InTouch, Intellution’s iFIX, and HMI applications.
- Process instrumentation a plus. Experience developing and interpreting control system drawings including P&ID’s, control system schematics, control panel layout drawings, and pneumatic and electrical interconnect diagrams.
- Knowledge of and experience in Microsoft Windows operating systems, Microsoft Office applications, and Microsoft Access and/or SQL Server.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and passport.
- This position is classified as a “safety sensitive” position and is subject to random drug testing.
- Must be vaccinated for Covid-19
- Provide on-site engineering services including equipment FAT’s, commissioning, customer training, validation support, warrantee support, troubleshooting and service support for Company equipment and control systems at customer and subcontractor sites throughout the US, Canada and Puerto Rico.
- Conduct/supervise field installation of controls, new or retrofit equipment, or prepare instructional installation documents to clients and project teams.
- The ability to troubleshoot, develop, test, and commission Allen Bradley PLC (ControlLogix, PLC-5, and SLC) control system applications using RSLogix.
- Troubleshooting and customization of SCADA application code using WonderWare, Intellution.
- Troubleshooting and configuration of non-SCADA HMI terminals.
- Develop proficiency in the understanding and application of Process Automation departmental standards (software, hardware, documentation, etc.). These standards are to be followed in development of the Company control systems. Company. Integrated Process Solutions.
- Execution of software test protocols.
- Inspect, test, and release Company control panels that are manufactured by outside vendors. This testing is typically performed on-site at our vendor’s facilities.
- The ability to read, understand, and red-line control system design documents. This would include diagrams/drawings (P&ID, control system schematics, wiring drawings, pneumatic/hydraulic drawings, etc.) and written design specifications (Functional Specifications, User’s Manual, Sequence of Operations).
- Must be aware of cGMP’s procedures and practices and the implication on control system development and modifications.
- Must have good troubleshooting skills.
- Act as a liaison to the customer when on-site, and effectively communicate project delays, scope changes, customer relationship issues, technical deficiencies, etc. to the Company project team and to Company management.
- Prepare labor summary forms and expense reports for all assigned projects.
- Spearhead controls warranty issues for field work through the assigned Project Manager.
- Document all activities through the execution of checklists, protocols, drawing markups, or written trip reports as required.
- Demonstrate scheduling and travel flexibility in ability to respond to assigned field service requests from customer base in timeframe required, from immediate to long term.
- Provide feedback and design suggestions to the Process Automation department as appropriate.
- Provide technical support to Company customers “in-house” in the form of telephone assistance and follow-up. Track and continually monitor issues ensuring issue is properly addressed and resolved.
- Remain current with emerging industry standards and products. Keep abreast of latest trends in software, instrumentation, and control system hardware.
- Provide consistent high quality service to all Company internal and external customers.
- Develop, maintain, and enhance positive interpersonal relationships with customers and staff members of the Company Group worldwide.
- Professional growth through societies and management approved training seminars.
- Keep supervisor informed of progress on a routine basis.
- Maintain an orderly workplace.
- Must be willing and be capable to climb ladders and to enter restrictive spaces.
- Other duties as assigned by management.